Femoral Artery Bypass
Femoral Artery Bypass Surgery of the Leg:
- Length of stay in hospital = 4-8 days.
- Bring all ultrasound scans with you to the hospital.
- Do not eat or drink 6 hours prior to your surgery.
- Do not cease Aspirin if currently taking.
- Patients on the drug Plavix or Iscover need to inform Mr. Holdaway prior to surgery.
If you are taking Warfarin:
- For atrial fibrillation (AF), Warfarin should be stopped 5 days prior to procedure.
- Mechanical Heart Valves or post blood clots in legs or lungs – Warfarin needs to be weaned off under cover of short acting blood thinner called Clexane.
Patients on dialysis having surgery:
You should arrange dialysis 1 day prior to anaesthesia.
If any of the following occurs please contact Mr. Holdaway:
- If the wound becomes hot, red, tender or discharges offensive fluid.
- The leg becomes suddenly pale, numb, painful or cold.