Varicose Vein Surgery:
- Length of stay in hospital = 1-2 days.
- Bring all ultrasound scans with you to the hospital.
- Do not eat or drink 6 hours prior to your surgery.
- Bring your pre-fitted stockings to hospital but not to the operating theatre. They will be used the day after surgery.
Use of Stocking in Post Operative Period:
- The stockings are to be worn for approximately 5 -10 days. They only need to be worn during the day not at night. However It is best to wear the stocking continuously for the first 24 hours.
- If the stocking fails to give any meaningful support for the leg, then its use can be discontinued earlier.
- You can continue to wear the stockings after the required time if you find this more comfortable.
Post Operative Care:
- About 3% of patients will experience some bleeding when they first stand up after surgery. This will always stop if you lie flat on the bed, to elevate leg and place pressure directly over the point of bleeding. Pressure is best applied by a second person after they have arrived, this will allow you to lie completely flat. A pressure dressing is then applied.
- The dressings from the groin can be taken down 2 days after surgery.
- Remove the band aids or steri-strips after 7 days, gently peeling them away from the skin.
- Wear loose fitting undergarments that will not cut into the groin where the incisions were made.
- Avoid prolonged standing for first week.
- Elevate leg/s when sitting for at least 3 days post surgery.
- Ensure you walk for at least 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the evening to avoid clots forming in the deep veins. Gradual return to normal walking over 5 -10 days.
If any of the following occurs please contact Mr. Holdaway:
- If the wound becomes hot, red, tender or discharges offensive fluid
- The leg develops significant swelling, redness or increasing tenderness
Women on Contraceptive Pill:
All women who are currently taking the oral contraceptive pill will need to cease taking this 10 days prior to your planned surgery date and can recommence 7 days after your surgery.
If you are taking Warfarin:
- For atrial fibrillation (AF), Warfarin should be stopped 5 days prior to procedure.
- Mechanical Heart Valves or post blood clots in legs or lungs – Warfarin needs to be weaned off under cover of short acting blood thinner called Clexane.